I thought I would write this article because many people don’t seem to understand sexual consent, and just consent in general. People tend to assume that just because someone isn’t saying no, it means that they are saying yes. It can be akward and a little weird at first to ask your partner for consent, but is important, and it should take place every time. Here are some ideas of things to say/ask before taking part in sexual activity:
- I’d like to talk about this first.
- What’s your favorite safe word?
- What positions do you like?
- Are you okay with this?
- What turns you on?
- Do you like it when I…?
- If you change your mind, I’ll stop.
- I liked that last time.. now I’m not in the mood.
- Do you have any trigger points?
- If you’re into that I could..
- May I?
It is important to keep in mind that any individual can change their mind at any time during sexual activity. They should never feel pressured or forced in any way. Make sure the person you are with is comfortable and ready!
If you are interested in learning more about sexual consent, check out Fuck Yeah Consent.
What do you think? What are your experiences with consent? Comment below and let me know!