I notice that a lot of people seem to joke around about rape nowadays, which isn’t okay AT ALL. I hear people say things like “Haha your totally raping me right now!” and things of that sort. Here are the main reasons I believe rape jokes are horrible and innipropriate:
- According to UCR (the FBI’s crime stats), there were 92,455 rapes in the US in 2006. 1 in 6 women have been raped, and 33% of men. That means that you most likely know someone who has been sexually assaulted. Telling jokes about rape can bring up horrible memories for people, and you never know who you are hurting.
- Rape is not a funny joke, it is a violent crime that happens every 2 minutes in the US. Even if you are not around anyone who has been a victim of rape or sexual assault, it is still offensive to many people to joke about such a serious matter.
- Talking about such a heavy subject in such a funny, light way makes it seem like its no big deal. The reality of it is, it’s a REALLY big deal, and it should be treated like it is.
- It’s just common sense that traumitizing, stealing, and forcing another human being into something is NOT funny. Is it funny when people die? No. Is it funny when someone gets kidnapped? No. Its the same kind of thing. Should people think its funny when someone is raped, or someone tells a joke about being raped? No.
- Making jokes about rape and how the person “wanted it” or “deserved it”, is fucked up. Not to mention it can make people who are victims of sexual assault feel like it was their fault.
I know when people say things like this, they are kidding. But in my opinion, it is not funny. Rape is a serious, sad problem. Please have some consideration and respect, don’t joke around about things like this! What do you think about Rape jokes? Comment below and let me know!