Abercrombie and Fitch is an overpriced clothing store catering to teens and young adults. This is why you should NOT shop there:
- Usually, when you walk into the store, there is a young man with muscles standing at the door, usually shirtless. If there isn’t, there are always photos of men with unrealistic muscles, and unrealistically skinny and unproportional women on the walls. Not to mention, they are primarily white. This reinforces gender roles, and NEGATIVE body image!
- Its overpriced! Some basic T-shirts there cost $40 and over! Why spend so much money on a label!?! I have bought similar T-shirts at the consignment store for about $7. Just saying.
- In 2005, the store was sued for discrimination based on race. Most people who get hired at the store happen to be tan, blonde, and skinny. Coincidence? I think not. According to Jennifer Lu, “”It’s dominated by Caucasian, football-looking, blonde-hair, blue-eyed males; skinny, tall”. “You don’t see any African-Americans, Asian-Americans, and that’s the image that they’re portraying and that they’re looking for.”
- Abercrombie was also sued for religious discrimination!According to Sarah Letter, a young muslim was told in an interview that she couldn’t work at the store because her head scarf (a hijab) didn’t follow the “dress policy”.
- A young woman named Riam Dean sued the store for their discrimination against her disability. Although she did get a job there, she was hid in a storage room because her prosthetic arm didn’t “fit” the look. According to Riam, “I had been bullied out of my job,” she said. “It was the lowest point I had ever been in my life.”
I could go on, but you get my point. This store is discriminatory and awful! What do you think? Comment below and let me know!