Stop and ask yourself things like:
- What does it mean to be white/heterosexual/male/cisgender/upper class (etc) in this situation?
- Would I be listened to if I didn’t hold this privilege?
- Is this an oppurtunity for everyone, or is this an oppurtunity ONLY given to me for any reason?
- Notice: How people of different abilities, people of color, LGBT people, non-cisgender people, middle-class and working class people, people of size, etc, are promoted, seen, treated, and talked about.
- Am I stepping into a situation where someone is not being listened to because of their gender, identity, race, sexuality, etc. Am I making sure everyone is getting the same chance to express their opinions?
- Am I interupting an offensive joke made towards a target group?
These are just a few things you can ask yourself to make sure you are actively being an ally to people who are different than you, and not abusing your power as a privilege group member.
To get more information on this topic, here are some great resources:
What do you think it means to be an ally? Comment below and let me know!