What is a zine? A zine is a self-published, small circulation, non-commercial booklet or magazine, usually produced by one person or a few individuals.
- Zines come in all shapes, sizes, and formats. There are no rules to follow when making a zine!
- Self-publishing is something thats been happening throughout history, but it has become easier to spread information through technology, like I’m doing right now.
- People who have found themselves discriminated against in publishing circles have found other ways to make their words heard, weather this was through the publishing of slave narratives by white abolitionists. the formation of feminist and POC publishing collectives, pamphlet distribution, or the Riot Grrl zines of the 1990’s.
- Zines can include letters, crafts, essays, poems, political discussions, letters, etc.
- Different punctuation, language, and grammar are used in zines. You don’t have to be professional.
- Zines can be made out of anything!
How to make a Zine
- Come up with a theme, topic, or project that means something to you.
- Decide if you want to make a zine alone, or work with others.
- Be CREATIVE!!
Zine Reproduction and Distribution
- The reproduction is the only part that can cost money.
- How you reproduce your zine has a lot to do with what you have access to.
- You can give your zine to friends, family, and people in the community.
- You can ask local stores and organizations if they will put your zine in their store or workplace!