First of all, I am going to start off by defining feminism. Feminism is both an intellectual commitment and a political movement that seeks justice for women and the end of sexism in all forms. Basically, if you are a feminist, you believe in equality. Here are some common misconceptions about feminism:
- All Feminists are lesbians
- All feminists are women
- Feminists hate men
- Feminists want women to have MORE rights than men
- Feminists are overreacting, there isn’t inequality anymore
These things could be true for SOME people. But i am speaking for myself, and I believe that most feminists would agree that this is NOT what we stand for. Why?
- You don’t have to be a lesbian to believe that women should get equal rights. I am a lesbian, but that is not WHY I am a feminist, I am a feminist because I believe in equality. The two things are not related.
- Anyone that believes in gender equality is a feminist. For example, my Dad is a feminist. Feminists are not only women!
- Feminism does not entail the hatred of men. Some people call feminists names like “Femi-nazis” and “Man-hating lesbians”. Being a feminist does NOT mean you hate men. It simply means you believe in gender equality, like I stated earlier.
- Feminists do not believe women should have MORE rights than men, we simply believe that we should have equal rights.
- People who say this are just downright ignorant in my opinion. Sexism is EVERYWHERE. According to article “Gender pay gap”,” In 2009 the median income of FTYR workers was $47,127 for men, compared to $36,278 for women.” This is just one example of gender inequality, but there are thousands.
Many people believe in gender equality, but seem to resist the identity of feminist. I think it is because of the negative stereotypes that come along with being a feminist. But i think, that if everyone who believes in gender equality calls themselves a feminist, those negative stereotypes will be forgotten, because people will see that feminists are just normal people.